Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Perpetual City

It been over two years. Actually, today its two years and a few weeks since it ended (last episodes -- Part Une and Deux - February 15 and 22, 2004).

Somehow, even the watered-down, swear-naked, sans sex talk or scenes that are on regular TV STILL manages to works its glorious magic (ain't nothin' like the real thing, though!).

Yes. I am talking about (drum roll, please) -- "Sex and the City."

Last night, the rerun was the second to the last episode, properly called, "An American Girl in Paris: Part Une" In this episode (*SPOILER ALERT*) Carrie has decided to leave the fabulous city she loves as much as her three friends to move on to greener pastures -- Yes, PARIS!!!

I was having such a hard time, overwhelmed at the memory of watching this same episode in its finale weeks AND remembering how compelling each character was to watch at this point in the game. As Carrie gave her friends her final goodbye speech at their final New York City dinner, Charlotte started to cry. I had to flip over to South Park to bring myself out of near combustible tears. That worked for the moment as Cartman was giving each of the boys costumes for the boy band he'd put together so they could perform at malls.

I inched back to "SATC" and decided to take my medicine. I guess besides having seen the episode a zillion times, missing the show to death, etc. and still feeling a void since NO show has really been this good with stories or writing since, I also lived those similar moments with my own friends when I left Chicago…

Bunnie and I were just discussing friendships and how no matter how good, how bad, how busy, in love, in hate or in chaos you are, you'd better be sure that you tend to those friendships, keep them close and nurture them. *It's an inescapable truth, especially for women, that we need our girlfriends. Sometimes we really need their support more at times, but it's the ongoing feeding of the relationship that keeps it intimate and special.* Good friends are hard to come by, but will be your lifesavers when you least expect it, the shoulder when there are no others and your cheerleader when its ALL so good or OH so bad…

I am grateful for the ones I have. They all know this. I am glad SATC reminds me of how lucky I am…

Now, if I ONLY had a Big -- but that's a story for another day.

*Bunnie's words

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Aw, I LOVE being quoted! As far as friends go, YOU my dear, are DA BOMB!

And might I add, your BIG is still out there. (or Harry, or Steve, or Smith Jared)

chi said...

Oooh, Smith Jared and then there's Aiden, of course...HUBBA HUBBA!