Friday, March 03, 2006

A little fall of rain, can hardly, hurt me now…

My person has been impaled by snow, bludgeoned with hail, noshed with sleet and cold winds, practically knocked unconscious by snowballs, stabbed with icicles, blinded by salt trucks mixed with slush -- I was once the girl, that even dressed to the nines, never carried an umbrella, jumped in puddles, made snow angels in my suits and sang in the rain. I used to jog down the lakefront in Chicago during the most hellacious conditions, but today marked my first official weather wimp-out moment:

As lunch time approached, I found myself looking at weather.com, following times of possible precipitation like a hungry hawk, ready to lunge. My plan was to walk around the golf course that is right across the street, the walk I usually take with two of my office pals, but today I thought of going it alone, only -- I was afraid I might get wet.

What??

Have I become light in loafers about weather?? Am I suddenly afraid I might melt?? What happened to my all-weather person who, much like the mailman slogan, "through rain, sleet or snow…", ALWAYS delivered?? I have a rain thing-y poncho garb thing with me, proper shoes and gear for this -- to quote Derrick Zoolander, "Who am I??"

I don't know what to call this moment, but I fear I may have lost my concept of weather -- for instance, I have been telling people who are in sub-zero temperatures that its been "cold" here. Cold??? COLD??? This is hardly Antartica. I have a friend coming to visit me tomorrow. She is coming from 25 degrees….and I told her to make sure she had some "warm" clothes!?

Has my inner thermometer been replaced by one that doesn't go under 50 degrees?? Have I slid into L.A. weather oblivion??

After seeing the "threatening looking clouds," I'd decided NOT to go.

(BTW...its NOT even raining.)

Little fact: The title, "A little fall of rain" is actually the title of one of the most beautiful (and weepy) songs from Les Miz.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHA [evilly rubbing hands together] You have succumbed to our wussy weather system, dearie. And you will like it!!! There will be no more cold tolerance for you! You shall forever start shivering and get goosebumps when it drops below 70.