Thursday, August 18, 2005

LAME-O

I gave up coffee this past Monday. I was becoming an addicted, writhing, coffee-ridden mess. Since I said goodbye to joe, I have been completely lethargic, slightly (and I mean, slightly) crabby and woozy. I realized this past weekend that I was drinking too much coffee (among other things) and when I over-do something, its time to give it a break.

So today's post will be lame.

Its about parking.

Anyone who lives in a bigger city can understand the pain, the vial moments and the swear words that parking can bring. When I lived in Lincoln Park, finding a parking spot that I could park my ZUM car at was like finding a pot of gold. Sometimes it would entail playing, "bumper tag," in which case, you parallel park and bump your bumper to MAKE your car fit (that's what bumpers are for!) I lived near the Lincoln Park Zoo, which gave SO much free street parking, but also meant dealing with driving for what seemed like, miles and miles to find a spot. And God forbid if it was cold...brrrrr.

When you are in one of the most over-populated cities in the country, having a parking space at home (as I do) is like winning the lottery. Weeknights, weekends, and most of the time thereafter, unless you have a garage, parking can be quite the nightmare.

My case in point today is about the parking at my work. You see, there was never a problem before. I work for a LARGE corporation. Our parking garage is about 6 stories and can hold ginormous amounts of vehicles. This past summer, a new company herded themselves into our building, causing a stir in the old convenient patterns that once were.

Gone were the days of zooming in late for work. Getting back late from lunch stopped being any fun. And in general, leaving AT ALL just plain sucks. Now you either circle the ENTIRE lot (which from top to bottom can take at least 15 minutes) or you must give yourself and your tin can to...the valet.

I personally have never given it up to the valet. I just can't. I have enough issues with privacy without giving my car (whether I like my car or not) to strangers. (I also am scarred from that part in "Ferris Buellers Day Off" when those valet guys take off in Cameron's father's car... Puh-lease, I am NOT saying my car is even close to that ride...I am babbling).

Today we received a notice that says our already ridiculous parking problem is getting worse...apparently, the owners of this building are taking away a HUGE-ASS chunk of our already precious and scarce parking space. Even the VP's (getting out my violin) will be affected as their now specialized parking is being taken away to park with our lame-asses. We were also told it might be a good idea to come in earlier as we will basically be fighting for our spots.

GREAT TACTICS.

My co-workers and I are angry. How can we enjoy our days here, knowing that we must get in early, CANNOT leave and if we do, we are giving up our freedom? Knowing the horrendous stories of our valets (and in their defense, they are prolly paid minimum wage), NO ONE wants to give it up to them.

Way to make disgruntled employees.

Grrrrr.

No comments: