Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Sweet Home....

Last Monday, I had the unique opportunity to rub elbows, eat pizza (Chicago pizza, mind you), snack on all sorts of other yummy Chicago nibblies and hubbub with Chicago peeps at a party called, "Sweet Home Illinois." The party is put on by the Illinois Film Office and affiliated with Columbia College of Chicago, among other entities that get involved.

The whole month before, I'd perused a very nice party for a TV show and then even snob-knobbed at an Emmy's party. But something at this Illinois party was a little different.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was buffing and fluffing in the car, when I noticed a man in a very nice car pull up near mine. I kind of glanced, thought he was some actor, but continued getting my shine on. We both ended up walking to the elevators together. I asked if he was going to the Illinois party. He said yes and introduced himself. Yes, it was the actor. And he was VERY nice and extremely accommodating.

When we arrived upstairs, the girls that were manning the ticket table squealed when they saw him and thought I was there with him. They called me his wife's name and we both laughed. I was curious why I was not on "the list," but he nodded for them to give me the okay to walk in with him.

Inside, it was curiously small. There was a bar. I was all over that. As I sipped on my wine, I realized that I sort of knew everyone in the room from the Chicago elite, including said actor who now was getting cameras shoved in his face. I started chatting things up as I peered around the room looking from my bro and sis-in-law, who'd been so kind to have invited me with them to this event. I did not see them. My cell phone had no bars so there was no way to contact them.

I started talking to a woman, dripping in her "day" diamonds, about her very nice non-profit children's group she runs. I spoke with a man that owns a city block in Chicago. The small room was never that full and still, no sign of the bro or sis-in-law.

After about an hour of schmoozing, I walked out the door and asked squealing girls if there was another room. They nodded and pointed down the hall where the sign said, Ballroom. D-uh.

As I walked to the ballroom, my brother ran over, asking what had happened. I told him I was BFF with said actor and told him the story. Apparently, I'd been in the VIP room.

The ballroom was another story. About 500 people were gallivanting about. As I surveyed the room,. my personal eye-spotlight did a 180… and as soon as I saw the table, heaven's gates opened and angels sang. They had it. MY pizza. My absolute favorite, most decadent treat from Chicago: Lou Malnati's…A table was filled with LARGE slices of fabulous, gut-busting, oozing with goodness, stuffed pizza and as people took the slices off in a ferocious manner, the loving, angel-workers kept putting more on. In agreement with me, my brother and I stood there in ecstasy, gleefully stuffing our faces.

As my sis-in-law dragged us away, there was more…Star of Siam (yummy Asian cuisine), Billy Goat Burgers (yes, "Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger"), Rainbow cones, Demon Dogs, Connie's Pizza (not a fan, but still), and Eli's fat-ladened cheesecake. There were others, ribs and such, but truth be told, I just kept going back for my slices of pizza…

The VIP room I'd been in apparently held mostly peeps from Chicago that had flown in for this event. The ballroom, however, was filled with the displaced, former Chicagoan, L.A.-alien folks, like myself, which is why the sight of Chicago food was so welcomed.

My bro and sis-in-law knew quite a few people so we made rounds. In that time, I also met one of the authors of a very popular book that I have read a million and two times (and have about 5 copies of). He was so easy-going, chatted up my brother and I, gave us his card and truly offered any help he can offer for career stuff. As we spoke, other Chicago actors you'd recognize from TV, film and Second City started milling through and just started hanging out. One actor put his drink down and asked if he could stand with us. We all talked about Chicago, where we'd all grown up, how long we'd been in L.A. He, of course, lives in both cites (bastard), but was truly open and encouraging. Said actress that people would know caroused about, too, and was also asking everyone where they'd grown up, if they missed Chicago, etc.

The evening was really about celebrating some of the film people that have brought film work to Chicago and encouraging everyone to do the same. One person was the guy that created, "Prison Break," (its filmed at the Joliet State Pen). After he spoke, other people took the stage, encouraging all of us stuffed-to-the-gills people to consider Chicago in our art. The writer of "The Break Up" then appeared (Vince Vaughn was supposed to have been there, but was with his "comedy" act somewhere.) The writer was extremely interesting to listen to and was given some fun awards.

At the end, my new BFF (said actor that had let me in the VIP room with him) and some other gentleman that looked like a Mafioso came together on stage and had the entire room singing along to their rendition of, "My kind of Town…" The entire crowd sang along, as we all rubbed our bulging bellies. I was teary-eyed.

Afterwards, I forced myself to go speak with the writer of "The Break-Up." He was being pushed, pulled and pummeled by all sorts of media folks, but when I asked if I could speak with him, he very sweetly said, "Don't move…give me just a sec." As the reporters and such were chucking him about, I thought maybe he'd forgotten. As I started to walk, he walked away from what he was doing and apologized for making me wait. We spoke for a few moments about writing, about Chicago, and he offered some excellent information to me and was so encouraging.

My bro, sis-in-law and I pretty much were loose cannons, chatting away all night, but kept meeting back up to excitedly say, "I am having so much fun."

After that, we decided it was time to go. I waved to said actor (BFF) and he happily waved as he was being chatted up by some reporter. As we walked out of the ball room, they had care packages (goody bags) chocked filled with Chicago architecture stuff, bottles of wine, t-shirts, White Sox hats (this is before anyone knew they were in the running for the World Series) and all sorts of other goodies.

We all said our goodbyes as we retreated to our cars. I then left a note on BFF actors car saying I would like a job!!!! Stalker!
(jk!!!)

P.S. Gastronomically speaking, in Burbank, CA, there is now a restaurant called, "Taste Chicago." It's at 603 N. Hollywood Way - Burbank, CA 91505 Food is shipped in straight from the horses mouth!

There is also a website you can order straight-from-Chicago food:

http://www.deepdishpizza.com/cgi-bin/lmcart.pl

or if you want to order me a PIZZA!

http://www.loumalnatis.com/

No comments: