Wednesday, November 16, 2005

It's so hot today, but you're so cold

I am not quite sure what's worse.

It's HOT today. It's November 16 and about 88 degrees. I think even the natives are getting restless. It's HAWT. Not that I am complaining as I sit in my air-conditioned office and see happy sunlight, but it is a little out of control having fire warnings due to the heat in the midst of Autumn and a mere week before Thanksgiving.

On that same level, I spoke with BFK, who was trudging herself down a Windy City street with her dog this morning. I could hear the wind whipping into her cell phone. Her words, fraught with bitter cold, were barely audible as she said, 'Holy ssssh----, its ffff-iiinally become Wwwwinter." I wanted to sing the title of this mini-story, but decided to not make angry a cold woman under five layers of clothing who is also picking me up from the airport.

But…that was enough to push me over the edge as my thoughts of getting away with packing lightly for my trek to the Midwest, starting Sunday, have gingerly waned. Silly me thought I would be able to bring my fun L.A. Autumn/Winter wardrobe instead of the insipid wooly winter wear that I have so carefully boxed up with electrical tape and a warning sticker that says, "Open when L.A. freezes over."

I guess staying for a week in a real winter with only one carry-on is just a dream in this girls fragile eggshell mind...(yes, those last few words were taken from Jim Morrison, whom I have been listening to with great intensity for the past few days)

Day-am.

No comments: