Monday, November 14, 2005

childhood stuff

I normally don't fill these out but (yawn), I am SO tired...

1. What was the first car your family had?
A station wagon and a really icky blue car with a BIG tar stain on the side. The blue car CONSTANTLY reeked of oil and gas. Blech.
2. What was the name of your first pet and why?
Pepper. Because he was a Sergeant and he was lonely (ba dum bump)...Pepper was a German Shepard pup we'd gotten from some neighbors. Adorable, except I could not stand seeing him tied up, so I let him go all of the time. We eventually gave him to a home where their kid did not set him free.
3. What did you want to be when you grew up?
Lots of things--a veterinarian, a priest (I used to pass out potato chips and bless them with dip), a hippie, a psychologist, a rock star, an actor, a teacher, a writer (hee hee)...the list goes on…
4. What was the name of your elementary school?
Tinley Heights, Tinley Park, IL. The name has since changed.
5. Who was your first best friend?
A little boy named Bobby. Shortly thereafter, I met my friend Erin who remained my friend for YEARS.
6. Are you still friends today, and if not, what happened?
Nope on Bobby...not sure why. Erin and I still talk once a year.
7. What was your favorite board game?
Scrabble and Life.
8. Did you play house or other make believe games?
Oh yes. I was the queen of making cool forts in the house, putting together plays and was always the lead singer, actor and director. And yes, playing house was a must. And of course, my stuffed animals were in my productions, too.
9. Were you a Dungeons and Dragons geek?
No.
10. Did you sleep with stuffed animals as a kid?
Oh yes. At one point, there were so many animal I barely had room on my bed.
11. Do you still sleep with stuffed animals?
Just my cat.
12. Who was the first person you looked up to when you were younger?
My sister, without a doubt.
13. Who was your favorite relative?
That would fall between my great Aunt Angeline and my Aunt Milly and for two completely different reasons:
Aunt A was this glamorous, eccentric rich lady with all sorts of stories and the craziest knack for taking pictures. Sincerely, she took pictures of anything AND everything…and I mean that in the best and worst possible way! She was my grandma's sis, the oldest at the point when I came along (everyone else had passed on). She was a strange bird, but in a really funny way. She passed away a few years ago.
Aunt M is my dad's younger sister. She rocks. She is the one person in our family who ALWAYS tells you the truth, whether you like it or not. She's traveled everywhere, is a total straight shooter and is our most prized family member for being able to rely on her for the best advice and helping us deal with the worst moments.
14. Were you short or tall in elementary school?
Short, fat glasses….
15. Were you teased in school?
Luckily, no. I really lucked out.
16. What was the name of your favorite teacher?
Elementary school would have to be … gosh, I don't remember her name, but she was so nice and really got to know each student personally and school-wise.
17. What was the name of your least favorite teacher?
Ugh. I could go on for hours. Since question 18 and 19 are tangled into this, I will just say that while my English teachers were HARD on us to get the best work possible out of us, being in degenerate math gave us teachers that were complete slackers and couldn't have cared less whether we passed or failed. So I would say every math teacher, for simply letting me NOT get any type of understanding of the subject.
18. What was your best subject in school?English and Speech.
19. What was your worst subject in school?
Math. No question.
20. Did you do well in Physical Education?
No. Strangely, it served me SO well as an adult to being physically fit, but I was LAAAAZY as a kid and slacked off as much as possible.
21. Were you clumsy when you were younger?
One of my nicknames was, "Lumpy"…use your best judgment.

22. Who was your favorite band as a kid?
Oh my. Well, by the art of permeation....sharing a room with my sis, Reo Speedwagon…Oh and Banarama. I was in their fan club!
23. What was your favorite movie as a kid?
"Grease" and then, "the Outsiders"
24. Did your parents read to you?
Not too often. I learned to read at a really young age so I just did it myself.
25. Did you have a favorite book?
I loved the Clifford books and Judy Blume.
26. What was your favorite restaurant as a kid?
Golden Bear. It was where we went to breakfast EVERY Sunday after church. They had a great kids menu and placemats I could color.
27. What TV or movie star did you have a crush on?
The Duke boys, of course. And then Jason Bateman when he was on "Silver Spoons"….
28. Do you now wonder what you were thinking?
Nah. They were ALL the rage!
29. Who was your first crush in school?
A cute boy named Jimmy. Since there were seven boys and thirty girls per class, we ALL liked Jimmy.
30. As a child, what kind of car did you want when you grew up?A red car.
31. Did your parents spank you?
Never. I was threatened with "The Hand" but never hit.
32. Did your parents fight a lot when you were a kid?
Yes.
33. Did your parents get divorced or stay married?
Still married.
34. Did you ever run away from home?
Oh yes, but never got further than a block.
35. How old were you when/if you first got glasses?
Ugh. I was so little I can scarcely remember, but I had a patch, glasses and the whole enchilada, due to having a "lazy eye," something I had until just a few years ago. I threw my glasses in the garbage in Junior high and strangely enough, my eye sight was always great.
36. Did you need braces or a retainer?
Yes. No one else in my family ever did, but Bobby (see #5) knocked my front teeth out and it mangled my adult teeth. I was lucky though…I had them for less than a year.

No comments: