Monday, March 10, 2008

I really need to start taking pictures –

This weekend flew by in a blink. Friday I was stuck in awful traffic due to a horrific accident, tried to chill when I arrived home and then prepared for Saturday. Saturday was busy and after the massage stuff, which was wonderfully, there was a dinner with Mr. A’s lovely parents.

Sunday we had an event at the Serbian Church – St. Sava. I am not quite clear of the traditions, but I do know it was to honor Mr. A’s Aunt that died a year ago. While I did not understand what was being said, it didn’t really matter -- it was all very beautiful, including the choir that sounded like angels and on its own, the church was just gorgeous.

We did the church luncheon, mingled with family and headed home when I found out we had dinner plans with Mr. A’s brother-in-law’s parents.

They don’t live far from us, but for some reason, everyone thought I’d been to this house before. WRONG. And this is where I wish I’d had a camera –

This house – how can I explain it?? Just amazing. Mr. A’s little nephew took me on his own 2 ½ year old version tour of the house which was very entertaining, but I could not help but stare with questions and mouth a gape at some of the treasures…

Bro-in-law’s father is from India and much of this home was shipped from there. The dining room we were sitting in was sooo cool and cozy. The table was thick and heavy and all of it covered in fine china, all the forks and place settings and beautiful crystal wine goblets and water glasses. Even the little guy had his own little silver cup and wine goblet.

On one end of the dining area was a beautiful cherry wood hutch, all hand-made by the men of the family. On the other wall was this magnificent silver door that was from an actual palace in New Delhi. Father Bear had wanted to use this door as their front door but it was not to regulation, so they used it as a wall in this room and my gosh – I was just in awe.

Dinner was amazing. Everything we ate melted in my mouth and all of the wines we had were unbelievable.

Then there was the photography. I could not help but look around the house and the photography that looked like it’d been done by computer just because it all looked so surreal, specifically one of the Golden Gate bridge at night with a full moon overlooking the city of San Francisco. I later found out that Papa Bear had driven his vehicle to the top of a mountain and ‘waited’ for this particular shot – in 1950!!!! I can’t explain how unreal it looked, but hearing the story behind it made it even more superior.

And that’s how this night was – full of stories old and new -- sharing of the adventures of this family before they had children and now, with all of the grown children and their kids.

It was all very special and a perfect way to wrap up with the weekend.

No comments: