Friday, September 01, 2006

What I did this Summer -- by me.

The Happiest Place on Earth

Since I have really fallen off the wagon of keeping up witchya'll over what I have been doing, here's a little taste:

Disney was one of those things growing up that my "rich" friends did, only they'd go to Orlando to Disneyworld. While we shrugged along to see Michigan for our umpteenth time, even commercials for Disney always made me feel like I'd truly missed out and I was pretty sure I would someday need therapy for missing the Disney boat.

When I moved to L.A. (SIX YEARS AGO, NEXT WEEK), one of my best friends took me. I was pretty sure that my inner child had missed out completely and that there was no going back or that I purely had no sense of fun. It was okay. Cute. Niiiice. But just okay.

One day this summer, A and I were in Huntington Beach. The word, "Disneyland' popped out of his mouth, about every third word -- what was he trying to say?? A, are you trying to tell me something?? Dis -- dis, what?? You see, A is the epitome of Disney. He KNOWS Disney. He sleeps and dreams Disney. He would live in Disney if he could…

So we trekked on over towards the Big D. We opted to get a room and do the following day at Disneyland. We got ourselves some quick fix clothing (including a bitchin' bikini for my person) at Target so that this girl could lay out at the pool. The 2 zillion kids that were trying to drown each other and the mother's from Where.Jesus.Left.His.Shoes, Alabama trying to keep their little monsters intact, was pure entertainment for me.

The hotel we stayed at was quite nice, but much nicer when they told us there was a 2 hour cocktail hour, for FREE. Let's just say we were in and out of line for 2 solid hours…

We then eased on down the road to Downtown Disney. Now let me just say, I had NO idea there was such a thing called, Downtown Disney. Really?? A insisted that I had to see this. In fact, he was so excited, he started to implode…We ate at this amazing restaurant called, The Jazz Kitchen. After plenty of oyster shooters and drinks, I can't tell you much more except that we had a whole lot of fun, especially since we sat on the top tier, overlooking the whole downtown Disney, that had this awesome New Orleans vibe.

The next morning we quickly got ourselves together to grab our free breakfast and like a baby, head out. Only, when I opened our thick, sunless hotel curtain, I was shocked to see something you NEVER see in southern California…RAIN. Buckets of it. A thought I was pulling his leg, until he scampered over and with the pain of a child who sees his parents instead of Santa putting his presents under the Xmas tree, let out a little whimper followed by a "fuuuuck." All night we'd heard loud, bowling alley-like noises, but when you are near the Happiest Place on Earth, you just assume its rides and rollercoaster's, NOT thunder.

But like most Hollywood marriages, it didn't last long and sooner than later, the sun peaked his hot and happy head out to light up the trail to Disneyland.

It was hot. Hotter than what I imagine my home in Hell will be like, but besides that…when you go to Disneyland with the BIGGEST.Disneyland.Fan.EVAR (BDFE), you can't help but enjoy every damned second of the glorious spectacular, especially when the BDFE is behind you, poking, pointing and furiously making sure you see EVERY drop, every inch of lighting, know the history of every square inch and … just makes sure you are laughing. And I did. ALL day. Till I was hoarse. I screamed. I ooohed and ahhhed during "It's a Small World" -- TWICE. I went on Space Mountain -- TWICE (once in the front seat). We went on every ride, sometimes three times. I squealed when I saw Pooh Bear (and felt pain for the dude in the suit) and giggled when I saw little kids, pawing and so screamy-happy at all the various characters milling about in the park.

At night, we watched the fireworks display and snickered at all of the half-asleep kids, fighting to keep their eyes open to catch a glimpse of Mickey (who was MIA ALL day in the park) doing this little dance on the big boat. It was very adorable. And as spectacular as I'd hoped.

I realize now, I am ALL about Disney and my inner-child, is happy and no longer in need of therapy (at least, not for that).

-----

And a shout out to my darling niece who turns (ulp) 18 on September 5. Happy Happy my sweet baby girl!!

No comments: